Monday, January 17, 2011

The end of 2010.

I realize it may be a little late, but...
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

The end of 2010, the beginning of 2011- I love new beginnings. I don't want to sound like the type who get all gung-ho about new year resolutions to only have them last a few weeks or so.. but I do both enjoy and benefit from taking a step back and just looking at my life, and then finding and focusing on a few of the very many areas in my life that are in need of improvement.




So.. what are my 'areas of focus', you ask?






  • Make more time for my family.




  • Consistency.




  • DON"T waste time. "As if you could kill time without injuring eternity."




  • Be a better friend.




  • Laugh more, you can NEVER laugh too much.




  • Continue to learn.




  • Appreciate all that I have.




  • Love unconditionally.


These are just a few...I could go on and on with this list. But I'll stop there for now, that is a good starting point.

And, just for fun - here are a few pictures of recent adventures.
New Year's Eve, with Marz at the party my YSA stake put on at the fairgrounds.





This is Kinzie (Jake's girlfriend) and I on the frontrunner, on our way down to SLC to find some homeless men. My mom and Alizae also came along. ...Sound crazy? Let me explain.

Almost every time I go down to SLC, whether I drive, or take the front runner, or go with family or friends, we ALWAYS seem to run into homeless men, asking for money. Which is fine, I just always feel a little uneasy. These people are just like me in a lot of ways I guess, just trying to get by. Yes, there are some major differences... But I don't really care how they got to be where they are. It's none of my business. I don't care if they are only pretending to be "homeless" like those guys that you see on the news, who beg for money on
the street only to walk around the corner and drive off in their Cadillac. None of that is any of my business. BUT, I do think that it is important to help those who stand in need of help. To realize that everyone is human just like we are, all fighting our own battles. And, just like the golden rule says - if I were to someday find myself homeless, I would be so grateful for any kind of help. So I wanted to do something to help these guys, instead of always just walking by them, avoiding eye contact completely and giving them no attention of any kind. But as much as I wish that I could, I can't afford to give money, Weber State seems to get most of that, haha. :) SO, we thought it would be a good idea to make little grab bags, with practical things inside that someone could really use. Like gloves. Soap. Tooth brush/tooth paste. Hand sanitizer. Chapstick. Granola bars. A warm scarf. Water. Handwarmers. Kinzie was able to get a lot of donations from her work (THANK YOU KINZ!! and afcu!) and Carianne and I came up with a pretty good list of fillers, and my mom helped so much in getting them all put together. My mom made most of the bags we put the things in, I was impressed! That woman has so many talents. So, one Saturday afternoon, we hauled all of our things onto the FrontRunner and headed to SLC. We received quite a few weird glances, probably because they thought WE were the homeless ones, and were using the FrontRunner in place of a uHaul truck. :) But either way, such a neat experience. Below is a picture of all of the seats our things took up.









On a completely different note, I took my first trip to LAVA HOT SPRINGS! In Idaho. And.... LOVED it. It's like a high-class Crystal Hot Springs. Bigger, Cleaner, LESS-salty. But I will always love Crystal. :)








Thought for the day:

EVERY moment of EVERY day
is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity
.

1 comment: